Skip to main content
Sign In New customer? Sign Up
Vilmart & Cie 1er Cru Grand Cellier d‘Or Brut Champagne 2016  - ACME Fine Wines
$127 750mL
Add
  •  
  • Blend80% Chardonnay 20% Pinot Noir
  • CountryFrance
  • Alcohol12.5%
  •  

Vilmart & Cie 1er Cru Grand Cellier d‘Or Brut Champagne 2016

  • Vintage2016
  • VarietyChardonnay
  • AppellationChampagne

Founded by Désiré Vilmart in 1890, Vilmart & Cie has always been a ‘récoltant-manipulant’, which translates to ‘grower-producer’ and means that they make Champagne exclusively from their estate-owned vines. In 1995 the property was handed down to Laurent Champs, the fifth generation of the family to take the helm of the house. Located in Montagne de Reims, with Premier cru sites in Rilly-la-Montagne and Villers-Allerand, Vilmart & Cie’s holdings total just 11 hectares with vines averaging 35 years old. The Vilmart vineyard is notable for its mix of varietals, a majority of 60% Chardonnay with the remaining 40% planted to Pinot Noir. This proportion is highly unusual for the region which is most well known for its world-class Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.

 
With a desire to grow grapes in harmony with nature, Vilmart is committed to environmentally friendly viticulture. The house has obtained Haute Valeur Environnementale (High Environmental Quality) and Viticulture Durable (Sustainable Viticulture) certifications, and abides by the principles of Ampelos, an organization that promotes organic and sustainable viticulture throughout the region. Additionally, Laurent has prohibited the use of any herbicides or chemical fertilizers since taking over the estate. The qualities of patience, consistency and humility are essential to exalt the wines. Laurent Champs follows this philosophy in his pursuit of making the right choices in everything he undertakes, learning from previous experience. For him, it is also a form of honesty regarding his creations; he takes a measured approach to viticulture to enhance the quality of his wines. It is no wonder that Vilmart is considered one of the greatest Champagne producers of all time!

The 2016 vintage is a blend of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir. Unlike most Champagnes houses, Vilmart braves the potential frosts that threaten vines so far from the equator and makes vintage Champagne, meaning that they don’t blend multiple vintages together as is so common in the region. The wine ages for 42 months on it lees, giving the body an immensely creamy texture. Ripe golden apple and baked pie crust are prominent on the nose. The palate is very much alive with bright acidity, and a plush texture on the back palate give this wine a sense of weight and luxury. Only the best made by the best!

  •  
  • Blend80% Chardonnay 20% Pinot Noir
  • CountryFrance
  • Alcohol12.5%
  •